In and Around Paola
- Tour the Miami County Courthouse, listed in the National Registry of
Historic places, designed by George Washburn, and built in 1898. (by
- Tour the Ursuline Convent, gardens, grotto, and cemetery, established in
- The area’s Indian heritage is commemorated with a stone and bronze
monument of the Wea Mission site (south of Miami County Medical Center).
- Shop for specialty items, antiques, and collectibles in Paola’s historic
- See Mitchler Springs, the site of the Osage Indian River Company and
Baptiste Peoria’s Trading Post (North Pearl Street).
- Take a horse drawn carriage or trolley ride and drive by the many
Victorian homes in Paola. (by appointment)
- View an amazing collection of antique cars and horse drawn vehicles at the
Hitchin’ Post Museum.
- Visit the Swan River Museum, home of the Hunt-Russell Genealogical Library
and the Miami County Historical Society.
- Lake Miola offers camping, boating, water skiing, swimming, fishing,
picnis and volleyball areas in a 725 acre park.
- The 5,480 acre Hillsdale Lake, 8 miles north of Paola, is a favorite with
fisherman and hunters.
- Visit John Brown Memorial Park and the Adair Cabin where John Brown and
runaway slaves sought refuge in nearby Osawatomie.
- The Paola Cemetery is the site of gravestones of early Indians and
descendants of Baptiste Peoria (5 blocks west of the Miami County
- Take time to enjoy the old time soda fountain at Asher Pharmacy. You
don’t want to miss their yummy shakes or fresh squeezed lemonade!
- On a summer’s evening, see a movie at the Mid-Way Drive-In Theater, one
of only a dozen left in the State of Kansas. Open seasonally “midway’
between Paola and Osawatomie.
Paola Free Library
View of the Town Square
in downtown Paola, Kansas
Miami County Courthouse
Overview of Lake Miola
Calendar of Events
January - Kansas Day Celebration. Kansas Day began in Paola in 1877.
February - Have breakfast and meet your elected officials at a
March - Lawn and Garden Show at Paola High School.
April - Annual Easter Egg Hunt in Wallace Park.
June - Gardens are something to see each June at the Paola Garden
Tapestry Tour and Tea.
July - Miami County Fair and Parade. Also see the Lake Miola Fireworks
August - The Roots Festival. Enjoy 2 full days of music and enjoy the
aroma of the contestant’s barbecue at the cookoff.
September/October - Stop by for cider and fresh cider donuts, pick up
a pumpkin for carving, and tour the Louisburg Cider Mill on Highway 68.
“Ciderfest” takes place in late September and early October.
November - Tree lighting ceremony and Santa on the square. Holiday
Open House for retailers.
December - Holiday Homes Tour, explore both new and old homes,
decorated for the holidays the first weekend in December. Holiday Open House for